If you're getting married anytime soon and still struggling to decide which kind of entertainment is right for your big day, after working in the entertainment industry for almost a decade now, I have a few simple tips that I have noted along the way which can help you narrow down your options and Choose the Right Entertainment for Your Wedding Day.
If you're an Indian, particularly north Indian, you might be familiar with the fact that most of us consider wedding as the biggest celebration of our lives, and we like to make the wedding larger-than-life kind of an affair and Why the hell not? This is how it should be, right?
With so many different entertainment options to choose from, it’s natural to feel a little confused. Here are my 5 simple tips for hiring entertainment for your wedding or wedding functions. Make sure you get the most out of them to guarantee your wedding party is unforgettable.
1. EARLY BOOKING: It's a known fact that If you book your vendors in advance, you're most likely to get exactly what you want, and book your first preference without spending extra money. Most entertainers are booked 8-10 months in advance especially for peak dates. If you book early you can also negotiate the fees and might get a good bargain but if you'll wait for the last moment to finalise, you'll end up spending a higher price or might have to compromise on what you actually wanted. So, my advice is to block the band's date in advance, be stress free and be ready to have enjoy their live performance.
2. TRUST THE BAND: If you're booking a professional band, it's more likely they've performed at hundreds of weddings already. I know the wedding is extremely personal and important for the bride & groom and it's perfectly fine if you're trying to indulge in every thing, but what's the point of hiring a professional if you're going to take all the stress. So leave it on them, they certainly know what's best for you when it comes to the performance. You can talk to them about any specific song you'd like them to play for you or if they'd be taking on-spot requests. Also, 9pm is usually a perfect time for the performance to start if you are finishing at midnight, so don't forget to ask them how much time they'd need to do the set up and sound check for everything to happen smoothly.
3. LOOK AFTER THEM: Trust me, I am mentioning this with experience. The better you treat your Band, the better they'll perform. I know you've hired them and paying a decent amount to perform at your wedding, but if you treat them well, talk nicely to them, provide them refreshment, some food and drinks, considering they've been at the venue for a really long time, doing sound check and other technical stuff, it's going to make a huge difference and they'll remember you for good, not just as one of their client and they'll ensure to give you the high-energy performance your big day deserves.
4. KNOW YOUR GUEST: This is something i would suggest everyone to consider, Choose entertainment that's suitable for all the guest of all age groups, and keeping in mind the occasion. If it's a youngster's or cocktail night where you only have the friends and family of your age group, then you can certainly book a belle dancer or a solo performer, but not at a wedding reception party where you have guests of all age groups from little kids to old age members of the family. It at times gets really awkward when there's a performance going on stage and most of the guest are trying to avoid looking at it. So, my dear it's better to think more about the ones who're actually going to watch it, as you being the host would be busy with rituals and formalities during the time of performances.
5. VENUE RESTRICTIONS: Don’t guess how much room your entertainment might need, ask the band what space is needed to set up and check with the venue if this will be suitable before you book. Be guided by the venue as to how many guests you can comfortably accommodate and what space is left for entertainment. Also, check with sound permission, there are venues that only lets you play music until midnight, so If you're planning to celebrate and continue your dance party much beyond the time limit, then you must talk to the venue owner in advance and book the band accordingly.
BONUS: If you're hiring a wedding planner, then this entire process is going to be much more easier for you and you could get a lot of options when it comes to hiring vendors and you can choose accordingly, but as I love you guys so much I thought to make it little more easier for you and give a shoutout to two of my ultimate favourite music bands. I have worked with them multiple times (I am an anchor too, incase you're wondering how I've worked with them) I have always enjoyed their performance even if I've heard them so many times, therefore I thought why not give you some tried and tested recommendations.
So the first one on my list isFUNKY BOYZ, a fusion band originally from New Delhi, whose speciality is to make everyone dance like there's no tomorrow, you can not resist dancing when they're performing. The amount of energy they've is insane, you would not be able to just sit and watch them perform, 99.9% chances are you're going to sing along. haha
The band has four members:
Hype Emcee/Vocalist: PARAS SUNDA
Disc Jockey: WICKED
Dholi: JSK JASWINDER
As it is said “ Music and Rhythm find their way into the secret place of ones Soul”.
When four friends on a musical journey came together and thought of fusion of folk instruments with commercial Bollywood and Western beats gave rise to the dream project “FUNKY BOYZ”
They're professional wedding entertainers and have years of experience working across the globe at all types of weddings and special events, and have the caliber to put on a great show for your guests. They're excellent at getting guests up and dancing and they promise to keep the atmosphere building all night.
Meet the Funky Boyz, and hear what they've to say.
Here's a recent video of Funky Boyz performance, watch and enjoy.
The other band that I love listening to is TARKASH, It's a multi-genre hindi-rock band, based in New Delhi. The band was created in 2011 by 5 young men and has been getting strong ever since. The band's name, which has its roots in Devnagari script, translates to 'a basket or a container of arrows'. Having a full 'Tarkash' was a matter of pride for the warriors. Similarly, their music is a matter of pride for these budding musicians. Tarkash has made it's mark around the globe and has performed for their fans in Rome, Moscow and Jordan.
Let me introduce the members:
Vocals: PARTH SHARMA
Keys: VIBHOR HASIJA
Drums: SIDAQUE SINGH DADIALA
Guitars: MANNI SAINI
Violin: IMRAN KHAN
Percussion: RAHUL SALWAN
Sufi music is definitely their speciality, however they can perform almost anything and everything you like. Their performance itself is enough to pull the crowd and make them enjoy the evening to the fullest, but their head banging attitude on stage is an absolute treat to watch not just the ladies but for all. #wink #wink
Watch them perform to my favourite song, click on the video and enjoy.
Here's a recent one, listen and hit that like button.
TIP: Be sure of the style of music and the style of band you are looking for before you start meeting with entertainers. Don't book a band for the most important celebration of your life without watching them perform. Make sure you know what you’re signing up to. Ask for a video or attend one of their show before you book them for your big day.
Wedding planning is indeed one heck of a nerve wrecking process and you already have enough to plan as it is, right? So, my dear bride or groom-to-be, or if you're a family member reading this, incase you have any more questions, or would like more recommendations, feel free to write to me at email@example.com or leave me a comment below. I would be happy to help.
May you have a wedding of your dreams.
Love & Luck
xo, Miss D
Previously on Wedding Wednesday (click here to read)